- 2020 review: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we hosted no sanctioned open water events this year. With most pools closed and/or on restricted schedules, many OMS members took to various open water venues for less-formal training swims, virtual swims, and adventure swims.
- 2021 preview
- Oregon Open Water Race Series [see proposed schedule]. We plan a seven-event sanctioned open water season much like the one planned but abandoned for the 2020 season. Note the planned championship swims:
- 2-mile Cable Swim National Championships at Foster Lake.
- 10-km Open Water Swim National Championships at Applegate Lake.
- 1500-meter Open Water OMS Championships at Elk Lake.
- Equipment: We purchased no equipment in 2020 but will renew our quest for a better open water finish line sensor for our automatic (chip) timing system and a new finish line clock if the OMS budget allows.
- Dual-sanctioned events: COMA plans to work with Bend Swim Club for a dual-sanctioned event at Foster Lake.
- 2020 review (so far)
- One-Hour Swim: 81 OMS swimmers participated. Two national individual champions and six national relay champions. Three Oregon Records. Oregon Club placed second overall.
- 5 & 10-km Swims: One Oregon participant in the long-course championship and four Oregon participants in the short course exhibition. Results will be available soon.
- 3000 & 6000-yd Swims: In progress. Please swim these if you can!
- Two-mile relay: Due to the pandemic, Event Director Jim Teisher has canceled the event this year.
- 2021 preview
- The OMS Board will host the One-Hour Swim National Championships in January & February of 2021. Preparations are underway.
- Bob Bruce is the Event Director. He has signed the contract and has started to prepare the event information.
- A committee was formed during the September OMS Board Meeting for logo & souvenirs. This committee must decide what will they be, graphics, ordering, etc., and MUST have a logo ready for the entry information before the event opens on January 1, 2021.
- Tim Waud volunteered the Oregon City Tankers (with others welcome) to handle the awards & souvenir mailing in early April. Stay tuned.
- I fervently hope that we all can resume swimming as the pandemic allows and that we will return for full participation in postal events.
Convention Report: The Convention produced no items of consequence that would affect long distance swimming.